Hi. My name is Kip, or Catherine if you prefer, and I’m a messy cook. I love spending time in the kitchen and sharing my disasters and discoveries.
I moved to England from Maryland (USA) in 2001 and have been here long enough to consider conversations about the weather interesting. I am self-employed and my work consists of a range of projects from t-shirt design to food writing. I like to make stuff, and Messy Vegetarian Cook is fuelled by that enthusiasm.
Other interests include travel, beer, books, MSG, cats, wine, cartoons, science, and boxes. See below.
Messy Vegetarian Cook is a repository of veggie recipes, reviews and information, my own personal thoughts, and documentation of proof of my future as a crazy cat lady. My goal is to show it’s possible to eat a varied and delicious diet devoid of meat. I try to avoid the annoying weight loss, detoxing, dieting language that creates body shame. I am not a nutritionist so I don’t know what’s healthy. I think the self help movement is damaging and only serves to make people feel like they aren’t good enough, so you also won’t find that here. If you do, call me out.
I am messy and not at all together. My flat stays moderately tidy only because my partner cleans. My kitchen is tiered with stacks of unheard of ingredients I probably won’t touch for years.
I believe clutter is fine and I mostly like cats more than humans.
In the past I have shot with a Canon EOS 450D and a Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 lens. Now I use a Canon 6D with 50mm f1.4 and 24-105mm f1.4 lenses. Most restaurant photos are taken on a Samsung Galaxy S5. I process all photos in Lightroom.
Get in Touch
- Follow me on Twitter
- Like me on Facebook
- Drop a note! Let me know what you think or make some suggestions. Either way, I’d love to hear from you.
- Look at what I’m eating on instagram @Kippysnacks
Relationships and Disclosures
- I’m a participant in the Amazon Europe S.à r.l. Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.
- I also participate in the Foyles bookshop affiliate program.
- I sometimes complement pages with Google Adsense to earn money to support the site and supplement my income (which is made 100% from internet based sales and advertising).
- I’m a participant in the Zazzle and Cafepress affiliate programs.
- I review restaurants and products from time to time, but never under a dishonest agreement (i.e. I will not accept payment, nor freebies to write a positive review.
- I’m an ambassador for Froothie UK and earn affiliate commissions from their site.